Planning On Breeding Munchkin Cats? READ THIS FIRST

grey and white munchkin cat laying on the arm of a grey sofa

With their adorable short legs and playful personalities, Munchkin cats have captured the hearts of cat enthusiasts worldwide. However, behind their unique charm lies a genetic mutation that has sparked debates about the ethics of intentionally breeding Munchkin cats.

The genetic mutation that results in the short legs characteristic of Munchkin cats is dominant lethal, meaning that embryos with two copies of the gene cannot survive. This, combined with the ethical considerations of breeding for extreme characteristics, means that breeding these cats must be approached carefully and mindfully.

In this article, we delve into the world of Munchkin cat breeding, exploring the history, genetics, responsible practices, and ethical concerns associated with this captivating breed.

Whether you’re a passionate Munchkin cat lover or interested in understanding the complexities of responsible cat breeding, join us as we navigate the intricacies of breeding Munchkin cats.

First, What Is A Munchkin Cat?

silver spotted tabby munchkin cat isolated on a white background

A Munchkin cat is a breed of domestic cat known for its unique characteristic of having unusually short legs. They are named after the fictional characters from “The Wizard of Oz.” This is a relatively new breed, with its origins rooted in the 1980s.

Munchkin cats have a naturally occurring genetic mutation that affects their leg length, resulting in shorter legs than the average cat. [You can check out a detailed explanation of this in our article on the topic – just click here.]

Sometimes referred to as “sausage cats” (just like dachshunds are also called “sausage dogs”), these cats have greatly increased in popularity in recent years due to their unique look.

For an in-depth exploration of “what is a munchkin cat”, we recommended reading our guide to Munchkin cat information and care.

Let’s take a look at the realities of breeding Munchkin cats and why it may be best to avoid it.

Can You Breed Munchkin Cats?

Obviously, it is possible to breed Munchkin cats, otherwise, where would Munchkin kittens come from?  But if you have a breeding male or female Munchkin there is something important you need to know before you allow them to breed.

The genetic mutation in Munchkin cats that causes their short legs can lead to breeding problems. The mutation follows an autosomal dominant pattern, which means that having just one copy of the gene is enough to produce the short-legged trait.

The Munchkin’s genetic mutation is a dominant, lethal gene. This means that it only takes one copy to create the Munchkin’s short legs, but two genes are not compatible with life. Embryos with two copies of the gene do not survive, and these kittens are never born.

So one copy of the gene is a good thing if you want Munchkin cats. However, two copies of the gene are not! If two Munchkin cats with the short-legged gene are bred together, there is a risk of the offspring inheriting two copies of the gene.

lynx point siamese type munchkin kitten on a dark grey background

What Happens If You Breed Two Munchkin Cats?

Gene inheritance is simply a matter of probabilities:

  1. Each parent has two copies of the gene regulating leg long bone length – one normal, and one with the Munchkin mutation.
  2. Between the two parents, there are four copies of the genes – two normal, and two mutated.
  3. Each parent can pass on only one gene to each kitten.
  4. The kitten, therefore, receives two genes – one from the mother, and one from the father.
  5. For every embryo that becomes fertilized, there is a 25% probability that it will receive two copies of the mutated gene and a 25% probability that it will receive two copies of the normal gene. That leaves a 50% probability that it will receive one normal gene and one mutated gene.

Since having two copies of the is lethal, litters from Munchkin-to-Munchkin breeding will, on average, have 25% fewer kittens than normal since these kittens never develop and are not born.

And since it requires one copy of the gene to create the Munchkin characteristic short legs, 25% of the kittens will have legs of normal length since they don’t have the required copy of the mutated gene. These are referred to as “non-standard” Munchkins.

So ultimately, in a litter of kittens resulting from the mating of two Munchkin cats, we end up with 50% of the fertilized embryos developing into kittens with the typical Munchkin short legs. These are referred to as “standard” Munchkin cats.

However, since 25% of the embryos never develop, the resulting litter has fewer kittens with 2/3 of the live kittens having short legs and 1/3 having normal legs.

What Happens If You Breed A Munchkin Cat To A Non-Munchkin Cat?

In the scenario where we mate a Munchkin cat to a non-Munchkin cat, there are still a total of four copies of the gene that controls the cat’s long leg bone development. Only now there is one mutated gene (which comes from the Munchkin parent) and three normal genes.

This means that on average, a litter of kittens will have 25% of the kittens receiving the mutated gene and will look like the standard Munchkin cat. The remaining 75% of the litter will all have normal genes and look like regular cats.

hairless munchkin cat resulting from a sphynx outcrossing

Isn’t It Illegal To Breed Munchkin Cats?

Although there is no widespread ban on breeding Munchkin cats, there are regions of the world that prohibit it. The Netherlands, Scotland, and some other regions broadly ban the keeping and breeding of “designer” pets such as the Munchkins.

However, in most of the world, there are no restrictions on keeping and breeding these animals, although many breed clubs refuse to recognize the breed due to ethical concerns.

Is It Ethical To Breed Munchkin Cats?

The ethics of breeding Munchkin cats can be a subject of debate and personal opinion. It is important to consider both sides of the argument when discussing the ethics of breeding any specific breed or trait.

Arguments in favor of breeding Munchkin cats:

  1. Unique and Desired Traits: Munchkin cats are loved by many for their distinctive appearance and endearing personalities. Breeding allows for the continuation of these traits, bringing joy to individuals who appreciate the breed.
  2. Responsible Breeding Practices: When done responsibly, breeding Munchkin cats involves careful selection, genetic testing, and prioritizing the health and well-being of the cats. Responsible breeders aim to minimize health issues and maintain breed standards.

Arguments against breeding Munchkin cats:

  1. Health Concerns: The genetic mutation that causes short legs in Munchkin cats can potentially lead to health problems such as spinal issues and joint abnormalities. Breeding two Munchkin cats with short legs together can increase the risk of these health issues in the offspring.
  2. Welfare Considerations: Critics argue that selectively breeding for physical traits like short legs may prioritize appearance over the well-being of the cats. They raise concerns about potential discomfort or limitations caused by the short-legged trait.
  3. Availability of Shelter Cats: Some argue that breeding Munchkin cats, or any specific breed, contributes to pet overpopulation when there are already many cats in shelters needing homes. They believe the focus should be on promoting adoption of cats in need rather than breeding more.

Ultimately, the decision of whether breeding Munchkin cats is ethical or not is subjective and depends on an individual’s values, perspectives, and commitment to responsible breeding practices.

silver tabby munchkin cat laying on a black blanket background

Recommended Breeding Strategy For Munchkin Cats

A recommended breeding strategy for Munchkin cats involves practicing responsible and ethical breeding to maintain the health and well-being of the cats. Here are the key components of such a strategy:

  • Outcrossing: To prevent potential health issues associated with the Munchkin gene, it is advisable to breed a Munchkin cat with a cat that has normal leg length. This is called outcrossing and helps ensure genetic diversity in the offspring. Breed standards typically allow standard Munchkin kittens from outcrossing, but only if the outcrossing does not involve a recognizable breed. Breed-specific outcrosses have been used to create “new” breeds of short-legged cats.
  • Genetic Testing: Prior to breeding, it is recommended to conduct genetic testing on the parent cats to determine their gene status. This helps identify whether they carry any hereditary diseases, such as feline dilated cardiomyopathy, that could be passed on to the kittens. Breeders should aim to select cats with healthy genetic profiles.
  • Health Screening: It is important to perform thorough health screenings on both parent cats to ensure they are free from any underlying health conditions that could affect their offspring. This includes regular veterinary check-ups, testing for common feline health issues, and assessing their overall well-being.
  • Temperament and Conformation: Breeders should prioritize selecting Munchkin cats with not only desirable physical characteristics but also good temperaments. This helps ensure that the kittens inherit positive behavioral traits and have well-rounded personalities.
  • Breeding Program Management: Breeders should maintain detailed records of their breeding program, including information about parent cats, genetic history, and offspring. This allows for better planning and helps in avoiding breeding two cats with the same genetic mutation.
  • Ethical Considerations: Responsible breeders prioritize the health and welfare of the cats. They provide a clean and stimulating environment, offer appropriate care during pregnancy and birthing, and ensure proper socialization of the kittens.

By following these recommended breeding practices, breeders can contribute to the overall well-being and longevity of the Munchkin cat breed while promoting healthy genetic diversity and minimizing potential breeding problems.

orange tabby mix kitten munchkin cat on a wood table outdoors with blurry vegetation in background


Breeding Munchkin cats is a topic that sparks ethical discussions within the feline community. While some appreciate the unique traits and joy these cats bring, others express concerns about potential health issues and welfare considerations.

It is crucial to approach Munchkin cat breeding responsibly, prioritizing the health and well-being of the cats above all else. Responsible breeding practices, such as outcrossing to maintain genetic diversity and conducting thorough health screenings, can help mitigate potential risks.

Ultimately, the decision of whether to breed Munchkin cats rests with individuals who should carefully weigh the arguments and make informed choices that prioritize the long-term welfare of these beloved felines.

orange tabby mix munchkin cat isolated on a white background

[Image Credit: All images used under license or with permission]


  • Dr. Wendy Wilkins, DVM, PhD

    Dr. Wendy Wilkins is an experienced veterinarian and epidemiologist with over 20 years of expertise. She holds a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) degree and a Doctorate in Epidemiology from the University of Saskatchewan. Throughout her career, Dr. Wilkins has excelled in clinical practice, academia, research, and regulatory veterinary medicine. She is a respected voice in knowledge dissemination, delivering factual information in a readable and understandable manner through articles, books, and public engagements.

    View all posts

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *